Malaysia Online Camera Shop

ShaShinKi.com - Malaysia's Online Camera Shop!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My third swimming lesson

In my last swimming lesson I was still getting the feel of being underwater, holding my breath trying to move around. I spend a lot of time at the children’s pool (when there were no children around) building confidence to put myself into the water with both feet off the pool floor, not so easy when you had never swam before. The water was deep enough for me to try ‘swimming’ while totally submerged. It is easier to swim underwater they say, and it’s true but it’s tiring when you don’t really know how. That wasn’t really swimming just getting over the fear of not having my feet on the floor and proving that the strokes and leg movement could push me forward.

The next big step to learn swimming after you’ve become comfortable holding your breath and being in the water is to float forward on the water facing down. Of course all this is supported by practicing your leg kick and arm stroke. For this next big step you’ll be holding your breath as your face will be submerged, you need to be able to kick properly, as it will keep your legs up and sort of propel you forward on the water. You won’t be doing any stroke with your arms just yet. The other thing you need is some courage, or maybe a lot of it. Why? Because you’ll be pushing yourself onto the water and your feet off the pool floor. Committing yourself fully to believing that when done right you’ll be floating towards the safety of the side of the pool, rather than sinking into the pool.

It was really difficult for me, I was so scared that I’ll just sink. Despite knowing that I can hold my breath, and the water was just up to my chest, I was afraid that if I sink with my feet off the ground I’ll panic, and not be able to regain control of my body to stand up, which would result with me losing my breath before being able to come up for breath. You know the feeling when you try to stand suddenly in the water and the water is pushing your legs up instead. Like you had to fight with the water. So this is the fear you need to get over, it takes a lot of confidence to push yourself off your feet.

I watched several videos how people float forward face down. I know there’s nothing to it, no tricks, so simple just push yourself forward, head down, arms fully extended in front of you hand overlapping shaping yourself sort of like a torpedo. Plus leg kicking to keep your body vertical to the water surface. Put yourself a few feet away facing the poolside, so you’ll be pushing yourself towards shallow water and safety. Yes, watching somebody do it helps to give a lot of confidence. But that was still not enough for someone with a fear of water. I found myself a few times just standing there, facing the side of the pool, just when I was about to push myself I got scared and stopped short. What now? So I decided to try this at the kid’s pool instead. Yes no kidding. It was much less scary. A bit difficult to push yourself forward from a kneeling position in a knee deep pool, but it was workable. And it worked. I push myself onto the water and floated forward, face down, with my legs kicking. It doesn’t feel really nice cause the buoyancy is less in shallow water, but still floated I did.

With that I gained the confidence to do the same in the adult pool with chest deep water. Still scary, but mentally I knew it will work. And of course, it did. Problems might occur when you don’t kick right, as your legs will sink bringing your body with it. You’ll also fail to propel yourself to the side of the pool, so having to recover before your hands can hold on to the pool side or pool steps is a bit difficult and clumsy. I guess theoretically there is a danger in breathing in while you’re submerged, but that never happened, since it became natural for you to hold your breath. It is easier if you know how to bubble or exhale while submerged because it takes the tension of holding your breath away, and you can do this more comfortably. So I did it. I learned to float face down in the swimming pool, propelling forward with the push and aided by my kicking. My arms were just aimed in front of me like the point of a missile. No swimming yet here. But guys, if you realize, all it takes now is to add the arm stroke. So yes that was a big an important step for me to learn to swim by myself. Really looking forward for my next lesson.

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading your swimming blog entries and they're very inspiring. I, too, am learning how to swim as an adult and I have an extreme fear of the water. I went to the pool yesterday trying to submerge my head in the water to get used to it. I could submerge my face but not my whole head. It freaks me out when the water gets into my ears. I actually just quit my swimming class because on the first day, the instructor told me to just launch forward and swim with him being there to catch me on the other side (no floatie or nothing) and I wasn't ready to do it. Well, I did it but I drowned myself. Can you give me some tips on how to keep my legs up and kicking? For some reasons my legs keep sinking even how much I try leaning my upper body into the water. I thought it could be that I kept my face up but I saw so many people being able to float even with their face up.

    ReplyDelete