Malaysia Online Camera Shop

ShaShinKi.com - Malaysia's Online Camera Shop!

Monday, May 3, 2010

Learn to swim myself, my second swimming session.

I finally managed to bring myself to the pool for my second swimming lesson. My wife came along with the kids. Remember that someone needs to be around even though you want to learn to swim by yourself. Got my prescription swimming goggles with me too, so really looking forward to it.

For my first lesson i just made myself comfortable holding my breath underwater, removing the fear of being submerged underwater, gaining some confidence. Let me tell you that after a while away from the pool, i start to forget how comfortable i had felt before, and some anxiety did returned. So again i had to familiarize myself, took a deep breath and proof to myself that i indeed could hold my breath underwater comfortably.

At first i tried to learn how to float, but it turned out to be more difficult than i expected, moreover, my wife couldn't join me in the adult pool, so i had to limit my floating attempt. Maybe next time, maybe it'll be easier to swim first and then to float, that's the good thing about doing things at your own pace, understanding the process that you're going through as well as your options as you learn to swim. So what next?

Now even though i managed to hold my breath underwater, but i was still very much keeping to a vertical position, standing, bending my knee to submerge, walking along the pool wall. I was still scared to let go of my feet, into a swimming position, afraid to lose control of myself, wondering if i can bring myself back up. Wonder if any of you can relate to this feeling.

I went to the children's pool, and at my family's urging i attempted to 'swim'. Took a deep breath, throw myself in the water horizontally as if to swim, being wholly submerged. Then i managed to swing my arms a couple of strokes in front of me pushing the water backward, and i felt myself moving a few feet. Unfortunately my legs were just stiff, not sure what to do, limiting my movement. Clearly i need to practice on my hands and legs movement. Well at least i moved underwater in a swimming position. That was a step forward. But most important, it allowed me to learn a few more things about my fear and limitations, what skills i need to gain and that was really helpful for me to plan a better approach for my next swimming lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment