Malaysia Online Camera Shop

ShaShinKi.com - Malaysia's Online Camera Shop!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My prescription/optical swimming goggles have arrived!!

Its finally here, the swimming goggles I ordered from China. Actually it arrived earlier than expected, the last time I ordered something overseas on ebay it took two weeks to arrive. This time it only took a week. In my quest to learn swimming by myself I realized the importance of wearing swimming goggles. I started with a normal goggle, not just that, the cheapest one I could find to fit an adult. I wear glasses, quite high optical power too, so though a normal swimming goggle was enough to stop the irritation, it wasn’t very exciting to look around underwater and see blurry images. When I asked about prescription swimming goggles at a nearby sports/swimming accessories store they told me it was around RM90+ (about 30 dollars) and I just had to look for somewhere cheaper. The internet as always is a good place to look, and I found one for less than half that price (RM41 plus postage) on ebay.


I tested the correct prescription that I needed at the local store. Yes, act like want to buy only, hehe. They will let you test as the power (they call them diopters) ranges at least from -1 to -10 for myopics (near sightedness) and somewhere I found +1 to +8 prescription swimming goggles for those with far sightedness. You can actually get the ones where you can have different diopters for each eye, but I didn’t find out more about those and how they are priced. They gave me this set of goggle lenses for me to test and I found out -8 suits me best. After enquiring about the price, I said thank you, I will think about it, went home and ordered the correct one from ebay.

Comes with a nice casing


Looks just like any other swimming goggles


Yep, -8.00 old man's swimming goggles


Well I will have stop here as I haven’t had the chance to try them out in the pool yet. Looking forward to my next ‘learning to swim by yourself’ lesson. Tried it on and it looked like I was wearing my glasses. Can’t comment much about quality as this is only my second pair of swimming goggles, and my first one was dirt cheap. So far most of the goggles I saw, including the ones I bought had uv protection and anti fog, they also have different size nose bridge. I’ll write up something on the choice and types of swimming goggles, or if I’m lazy I’ll post a link. Also waiting for another ‘gadget’ I ordered online related to me wanting to learn to swim. Hope to post that up soon too.

11 comments:

  1. hye..i'm interested in buying the prescripted goggles. but i dont know where to find the store/optic to test the power?can i know where did you went to test your power? i'm living in lembah klang..thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dewi, thanks for visiting! Well i actually went to alpha angle wangsa maju, are you familiar with that place? the store is near the escalator, you'll see it as you come up the escalator to the first floor.. it has lots of swimsuits and exercise machines... do you snorkel? i got myself a prescription snorkel mask too, but you can wear contacts for that.. hope to update that on this blog soon, haha sure has been a while since the last post..

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi nizam, which website u go to order the prescribed goggle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh btw, i bought myself a prescribed goggles ( ovigal)@rm42.90 in Sunshine Mall, penang.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice price. Though Penang is out of my way. The price on ebay also a bit higher now, need to look around for another pair..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nizam,

    Is there any Farsightedness Goggles?

    Regards,
    -jay-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Try www.aquagoggles.com They have + goggles up to +6

      Delete
  8. Salam Nizam
    May I know how much is it for the prescription snorkel mask ? .... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice and very good informative post regarding prescription swim goggles..

    Thanks for sharing

    prescription swim goggles


    ReplyDelete
  10. Swimming goggles are specialized goggles that keep eyes protected and ensure visibility when you’re under the water. Whether the water is dirty or clean, it won’t affect your eyes, putting on the goggles. you can visit my site Authority Beast

    ReplyDelete